Are there any health issues prevalent in the LGBTQ community?
There are no diseases that result from being gay, but there are some other health risks that tend to be more prevalent in the LGBTQ community that you should be aware of:
For men who have sex with men:
- Higher rates of STDs, Hepatitis and HIV/AIDS (the rate of HIV diagnoses is 44 times the rate of HIV diagnoses of other men)
- Higher risk of depression
- More likely to use tobacco or drugs
For women who have sex with women:
- Higher risk of obesity, heart disease, depression
- More likely to use tobacco and drink
- Higher risk for breast, cervical, uterine, and ovarian cancer
- Higher risk of STDs
The bottom line is you need to get tested and practice safe sex, no matter what your orientation!